Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Activism


A cause that is truly dear to my heart is domestic violence, because my aunt and grandmother have both endured and overcome abusive relationships. An organization that brings tremendous amount of attention to the problem is www. dvam.vawnet.org, Domestic Violence Awarness Months official website.

My grandmother left her abusive marriage and decided to raise five children on her own despite economic difficulties. I was not alive at this time but I admire my grandmother’s strength and courage to become a single mother during the 1960’s (the height of the nuclear family).

As a child I can remember my aunt spending nights at my home, lying on the floor in the fetal position, crying violently until she vomited while my mother tried to comfort her and provide her with help needed to leave her abusive relationship.

My aunt eventually did leave her abuser, but as I’ve grown older, these images continue to haunt me. I have consciously made an effort to educate myself about domestic violence and make others aware of the problem. During my last year of high school I decided to create a self-help guide to leaving an abusive relationship as my independent study unit. I decided to create the book in the form of a self-help guide because research indicates and I truly believe that one must truly help themselves in order to safely leave an abusive relationship. During high school I also helped create announcements, that we`re played throughout the school to during October to help bring awareness to domestic violence awareness month.

Domestic violence constitutes any of the following physical aggression (or threats, sexual abuse, emotional abuse; controlling behaviour, intimidation; stalking, neglect and economic deprivation.

It is essential that people also realize that abuse is not love and that abuse can happen to anyone regardless of gender, age, race, religion or socioeconomic background.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month is recognized every October internationally. DVMA is also represented by purple bracelets and ribbons. The Domestic Violence Awareness Month`s website features information about domestic violence, how to identify if you or someone you love is in an abusive relationship, resources for battered persons and how to raise awareness within your own community.

For more information regarding domestic violence please visit

http://dvam.vawnet.org/index.php

If you or someone you know is afraid or have been beaten by a partner please contact

Emergency services- 911

Or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800- 787-3224

Works Cited

The Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Web. 23 Nov. 2009. .

No comments:

Post a Comment